Friday, June 20, 2014

Summer Farro Salad

     
      The winds have changed. This happens in life. I quit my job last fall. Just did it. For a lot of reasons. And nothing could have been better or more healing, more of a resurrection from a dark place. I also got married one month ago. This precious marriage feels tender and novel---I absolutely cannot wrap my head around it and all the goodness and challenge and vulnerability and beauty it is. Also, this week I started delivering resumes, nervously deep-breathing in my car, mustering up gumption to walk through doors and toot my horn to managers I don't know. There are lots of winds blowing around here. Good winds, but adjustments nonetheless (Can I say that every time I mention winds I think of the sailors on the rooftop ship in Mary Poppins? Storms' a brewin' off the port bow! Talk about a great movie.)
      I've thought a lot lately about how much we speak about this-and-that transition we're going through, this change we're enduring. I find myself often mentioning my readiness for a new "normal." But I'm coming, more and more, to find that perhaps we don't so much get normal. I think that once it begins to feel that way, the winds blow again. Can we not just get settled? Can I not master this season for a bit and feel a little better about myself and my grip on life? I need a break! But, I think we just have to laugh and cry a lot over this and embrace that life is hard and we need help. We are weak, weak, weak, and so easily blown about by these winds. How can we possibly withstand? And then I think about penguins* and the way the strong (amazingly) form tight lines to guard the weak from harsh winds. And I think about a friend who recently proclaimed, "Together we can do hard things!" And I take a deep breath and acknowledge that, alone, we will be blown away...but, together, we gain strength. I'm encouraged by this today. I hope you are, too. You're not alone! We're not alone in this!
      The winds have changed in my kitchen (I promise that's the last time I'll use this analogy). If you've at all followed or scanned this blog, you'll notice a predominance of sweets and sides. Before marriage I was a contented snacky-meal girl. A scrambled egg, bowl of cereal, and spoonful of peanut butter, for example, stood as an excellent dinner. This does not go over so well when you have a husband who seriously enjoys a full, well-rounded, hot meal. Darn it. So, I'm using this reality as fuel for the blog. My charge: Post about what I'm cooking for dinner! This is new territory for me. I'm much more comfortable with cupcakes. But, we're doing this. At whatever frequency feels right. I hope you are helped as I share my findings. 
      For today, I have a salad to share (I'm obviously easing my way in here). This I'm calling "Summer Farro Salad." I had some leftover veggies from one dinner this week, and some farro (a grain new to me that I'm loving--found maybe at an organic foods store, maybe Kroger?) from another. I tossed them together with some feta and lime juice for lunch today and loved every bite of varied texture and flavor. Perfect as a summer lunch or a side on a dinner plate. I love when you stumble across something like this. Try it out, maybe with a little avocado on top? Enjoy. And, happy summer!

serves 4 appetizer/side portions

Ingredients: 
2 cups cooked farro
1 bell pepper (yellow or orange recommended), chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
10 basil leaves, julienned
a big handful of edamame
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1/4-1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (per your preference)
juice of 1/2 a lime
salt and pepper, to taste
a drizzle of olive oil

Mix ingredients together and enjoy.



*You may poke fun at my penguin reference as my husband did. But they are amazing creatures. Go look up a documentary. I'm inspired. 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this post and you and getting to walk with you through this year, even if in just a small way. I'm so excited to try out farro and this recipe looks like the perfect way to do it!

    ReplyDelete