Saturday, September 04, 2010

Fresh Corn Salad

                             
I just love corn in the summer. I regretfully haven't had much this year, but am making sure to fit plenty in before fall makes its grand entrance (yessss...), which brings me to this here corn salad. This recipe is sweet and simple. First of all, it's by the adored Ina Garten (of whom you will hear much more in coming posts, i guarantee), so it must be good, as most everything contrived by her is. You know, come to think of it, I think I'll soon dedicate a post soley to her. So much raving to do! Anyhow, this corn salad is just right on a humid summer afternoon. I love it because it's a bit tart and a bit sweet and has a lovely little crunch from both the fresh kernels and red onion. A nice tribute to corn, I say. I whipped it up last night in a flurry before heading to work (hence the classy plastic container photo above...and, oh, did i tell you i'm a nurse? night shift: 7pm-7am. ick is right.) and inhaled the entire tupperware-full in a matter of seconds during my midnight "lunch." It's a hit! You should definitely try it.

On another note, I'm leaving the country next week! Hurray! Guatemala, and Rachel and Aaron, here I come! I cannot wait. Two dear friends of mine live and serve as missionaries in the mountains there and are opening their lovely home to me for 10 days! 10! Oh boy. I'm so excited. I'll be sure to share upon my return. That said, this might be the last post for a bit, though I'll try to squeeze one in before heading out. Bon voyage!

yields 4-6 servings
borrowed from Ina Garten

ingredients:
5 ears shucked corn
1/2 cup red onion, diced (1 small onion)
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, julienned

directions:
1. Boil a large pot of salted water and drop in your corn for 3 minutes.
2. Drain corn and immediately immerse in bowl of ice water to stop the cooking (your corn will now be a nice shade of yellow).
3. Once the corn is cooled, cut the kernels off close to the cobb (so some still stick together in strips. it looks cooler that way, i think)
4. Toss the kernels in a bowl with the onion, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
5. Add basil just before eating.




3 comments:

  1. Hooray! How appropriate that you posted a blog about corn right before coming to Guatemala! Can't wait to have you here in my own kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Yum! My mouth is watering right now! I'm off to find some fresh-shucked corn here in SW Florida! Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete